Friday, September 10, 2010
Journal #2
In chapter one I see an example of immanence when Rama defeats the Thataka, "Next she raised a hail of stones under which to crush her adversaries. Rama sent up his arrows, which shielded them from the attack." (page13) This shows immanence because he is a normal person at this point, but he has powers that seem to come from the Gods. second is when Rama transforms a stone into a woman, "when he brushed past, the dust of his feet fell on it, and transformed it, that very instant into a beautiful woman."(page20) these are examples of immanence because they show a divinity inside of Rama. An example of illusory is seen when the talk about getting the bow for Shiva, and describe it needing carriage with 8 pairs of wheels and many men to carry it, yet he can draw the bow with ease. This seems like a stretch to me and I think they use this description to show it was a big bow, I don't literally think its that big. Another example from chapter one is the description of Rama's battle with the Thataka, the feats he accomplishes seems impossible to me, even with some help from the Gods. Lastly I think the story of the man being covered in a thousand "female marks" is illusory because I think the story is just trying to teach the reader a lesson and scare them, it seems unlikely this would actually happen. So pretty much I think the author has used illusory to get his point accross in a stronger way/ emphasize a certain point.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment